I would like to keep you updated regarding our plans to re-open West Lothian schools.
The decision to open all schools in Scotland on August 11 was made by the Scottish Government. This is nearly a week earlier than originally planned for West Lothian schools.
Transition - We are currently developing transition arrangements for those starting primary and secondary education, based on the national guidance. Schools will be in touch with parents/carers by 15 June 2020 to confirm these arrangements.
August return for individual pupils - Teachers and other school staff will begin planning and preparing for the new session shortly. This includes putting procedures in place to prepare school buildings to ensure the safety of all pupils and staff.
With the need for social distancing and the new blended learning model, not every pupil can be in school at the same time so the start dates for individual pupils will vary. Headteachers will be in touch with parents/carers by the end of June to confirm the specific arrangements for each child at the start of the new term.
Making sure your child can get back to school once more is our priority, and every school in West Lothian is working tirelessly to make this happen.
I appreciate that many of you will have further questions and I would like to thank you all for your patience at this time. We will issue further updates once plans are confirmed, both at West Lothian-wide and school level, as we follow the evolving national guidance.
Dr. Elaine Cook
Depute Chief Executive, West Lothian Council
WEST LOTHIAN COLLEGE, WORK PLACEMENTS AND SQA 2020 EXAMINATIONS STATEMENTS
West Lothian College school partnership provision statement, Work Placements statements and SQA 2020 Examinations statement
West Lothian College school partnership provision
West Lothian College are moving to online learning starting from Wednesday 18 March. If your child attends college as part of their school curriculum the college will be in contact shortly regarding online learning related to their course. Please discuss this with your child.
All work placements, organised through school or college will be postponed with immediate effect. These will be reviewed regularly and updates given in due course.
Career Ready Internships commencing June remain in place at this time.
SQA update on arrangements for quality assurance and the certification of National Courses and Awards - a message to schools and colleges (Updated Friday 2 April 2020)
Across our schools we are working together to ensure that our young people get recognition for their hard work and receive the qualifications they deserve. We have robust systems in place to gather the necessary evidence for submission of estimates.
SQA have provided an update on arrangements for young people completing courses in Session 2019/20:
This link also includes guidance for learners, parents and carers.
Some key points to note are:
- SQA are asking schools and colleges across the country to use their professional judgement, and knowledge of young people's work, to make an estimate of the grade. This will be based on learners' skills, knowledge and understanding for each course at National 5, Higher and Advanced Higher.
- For students accessing college, relevant evidence will be used for a wide range of courses and Awards.
- SQA is in regular discussion with UCAS (the University and College Admission Service), Colleges Scotland, and Universities Scotland, who are fully aware of the situation and will help learners to progress on to the next stage of their education or employment. We are also in close discussion with Skills Development Scotland, to ensure employers and their representatives are kept aware of the decisions being made.
- Staff at SQA are working hard to ensure learners will receive their results no later than Tuesday 4 August.
- Further details of the 'Appeals process' will be communicated as it becomes available.
- We also recommend that learners sign-up to MySQA to receive their results by text and/or email. Any learner who has previously signed up to receive their results through MySQA will continue to do so, and we recommend that those learners review their profile to make sure their contact details are up to date.
We will provide you with further information following the next update from SQA on 20th April.